iNPLACENEWS Blog Has MOVED

September 14, 2008

Hey everyone!  From all the staff to all the readers of our blog and the watchers of our live news programming broadcasted live over the internet directly to your desktop, we want to thank you for all your support and participatiion.  We have relocated our blog to iNPLACENEWS.COM.  There you will find all our blogs, including the old posts, your comments you made, the place to download our free desktop player and all of the current news from around the world.  Stay up-to-date on all the current events by watching our broadcasts, reading our blogs, and watching videos-on-demand.  Again, go to iNPLACENEWS.COM for all the newest blogs and the older posts you love to go back to read.  Thank you again for your time, support, and participation.

-iNPLACENEWS


Shaq Can’t Rap But He Can Diss Kobe

June 24, 2008

Just in case anybody had forgotten that Kobe Bryant has never won an NBA title without Shaquille O’Neal, the big man sent out a reminder.

The Phoenix Suns center can be seen rapping that “Kobe couldn’t do without me” in a video posted online at celebrity news and gossip site TMZ.com

During the two-minute video, a grinning O’Neal lurches through an improvised rap in which he skewers the Lakers’ star, with whom he won three straight NBA titles from 2000-2002 while with Los Angeles.

“I was freestyling. That’s all. It was all done in fun. Nothing serious whatsoever,” O’Neal told ESPN.com Monday. “That is what MC’s do. They freestyle when called upon. I’m totally cool with Kobe. No issue at all.”

O’Neal and Bryant last played together in 2004. After a long-simmering feud came to a boil in public, O’Neal was traded to Miami before the 2004-05 season, and won an NBA championship with the Heat in 2006.

Bryant and the Lakers didn’t reach the finals again until earlier this month, when the Boston Celtics beat them 4-2.

“You know how I be,” Shaq rapped. “Last week Kobe couldn’t do without me.”

O’Neal, who has recorded seven albums, also said he is “the difference between first and last place” and even took a jab at former New York Knicks center Patrick Ewing’s lack of championship rings.

Originally found @ Yahoo.com

Thanks to TMZ/ YouTube for the video.

iNPLACENEWS


NBA’s Biggest Nightmare

June 11, 2008


As David Stern stood surrounded near a loading dock at the Staples Center, with all the beautiful people waiting courtside, with the return of a glamour NBA Finals, the commissioner had to consider the possibility that he had delivered an invitation for Tim Donaghy to embarrass the NBA again, to usurp its starry stage.

“He picks his spots,” Stern grumbled. “This guy is dancing as fast as he can to throw as much against the wall so his sentence won’t be as hard.”

There’s a chance Donaghy’s attorney, John Lauro, had long ago chosen to release wild stories of league corruption during the Finals, but there’s a possibility, too, that the league needlessly provoked it. The NBA wanted this Donaghy circus on Tuesday night about as much they wanted the San Antonio Spurs back in the Finals.

Within the past week, the NBA filed a letter with federal probation officials calling for Donaghy to pay restitution of $1 million, a sum that the league says it invested in investigating the rogue ref. When the government asked the NBA – considered the victim of Donaghy’s crimes – for a figure on its damages, the league should’ve shown restraint and taken a pass.

Donaghy is no sympathetic figure. He’s a bad guy, but he is also a broken man who has lost his family and his career. Whatever his prison sentence, his life is in ruins. He deserves everything he gets, but make no mistake: The blood money is beneath the NBA.

Let it go. Just let it go.

So, Donaghy had one dart left for Stern before the felon’s sentencing in July, and empowered with the feds requesting the judge grant Donaghy probation over prison because of his cooperation in the prosecution of his co-conspirators, Lauro fired on the commissioner who has trashed his client’s credibility for months. What’s more, Lauro tried to provide the judge details of disclosures that the feds didn’t include in the recommendation letter.

Nevertheless, the timing seems more about exacting revenge on Stern and his league than leveraging the judge for a shorter sentence. The lawyer waited until there were suspicions of strange officiating in Game 2, until the series had moved to Los Angeles for Game 3, and let loose these sordid stories of NBA corruption, compromises and fixes.

Still, Stern is right when he says – so far, anyway – that, “Mr. Donaghy is the only one here that’s guilty of criminal activity.”

Did the league and referees conspire to get the Lakers past the Sacramento Kings and into the 2002 NBA Finals? Did Yao Ming get unfairly targeted in the 2005 playoffs at the behest of the league? Were NBA referees punished for throwing superstars out of games? Do relationships among team officials, coaches and players with refs compromise calls on the floor?

There’s a chance there’s some chards of truth on the smaller ones, but the biggies? Do you truly think league executives would expose themselves to criminal prosecution for better television ratings, better matchups?

Enough with the conspiracies, enough.

Within the NBA, there’s a belief that Donaghy was always planning to file these papers in New York on Tuesday, but the recent timing of the league’s demand of $1 million restitution makes it look like Lauro and Donaghy were furious and struck back.

For the league, the money isn’t the issue. It can find that million between the cushions of couches in its midtown Manhattan tower. For the NBA, this was a self-defeating exercise, useless. And yes, Donaghy is responsible for his felony acts, for betting on games, providing gamblers inside information and, as Stern said, “a convicted felon who really violated probably the most sacred trust in sports.” Nevertheless, Donaghy had been an employee with a pattern of disturbing behavior, whose acts should have invited a more probing league investigation into his double life.

Who has paid the price in the NBA? Who lost their job over Donaghy? Perhaps the NBA wouldn’t have had to pay $1 million for this investigation – if it did spend that much – had it gone deeper in its original probes.

From the beginning, Stern engaged in a relentless campaign to isolate the corruption to Donaghy. He cast doubts on Donaghy’s credibility with constant refrains that he’s a “convicted felon.” Stern started in the summer, calling him a “rouge, isolated official.” All along, his instincts were right: As long as the scandal was contained to this creep, the sport could survive the scandal.

As it turned out, the story never had the legs that the NBA feared. The league was still moving quietly toward Donaghy’s sentencing in mid-July, when it looks like it took a foolish risk.

Stern doesn’t need restitution out of Donaghy. He needs him out of the news, out of his life. And how many millions of dollars would the NBA have paid for that crook to be out of sight, out of mind, on a night the starry Hollywood stage at Staples should’ve belonged to Kobe Bryant?

This was originally found @ Yahoo Sports

iNPLACENEWS


Double-Amputee Wins Appeal To Qualify For Olympics

May 19, 2008

Double-amputee Oscar Pistorius can try to qualify for the Beijing Olympics after winning his appeal against a ban at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), the South African sprinter said on Friday.The International Association of Athletics Federations ruled in January that runner Pistorius could not compete with able-bodied athletes because the carbon-fiber blades attached to both legs gave him an advantage.

The 21-year-old appealed to CAS, which ruled in his favour on Friday following a hearing with various scientists at the end of last month.

“I don’t think ‘really happy’ describes it. I’m ecstatic. The battle has been going on for far too long. It is a victory for sports in general. I think this day will go down in history,” Pistorius told a news conference in Milan, where his lawyers are based.

“Now I can definitely say the truth has come out. I have the opportunity once again to chase my dream of the Olympics, if not 2008, in 2012.”

He confirmed he would run in able-bodied races in Milan on July 2 and at the Rome Golden Gala on July 11, where he competed last year and endeared himself to Italian fans.

The 400 meters will be his main target but he is realistic about his chances of making the August 8-24 Games with the qualifying deadline in late July.

“I’ve missed the whole South African season. The time period is very short. It’s going to be very difficult for me to qualify [for the able-bodied Games],” he said.

He could run in the relay in Beijing without a sufficient individual time but is not holding out much hope with South Africa’s 4×400-meter team struggling to qualify.

Pistorius, who won gold in the 200 meters and bronze in the 100 meters at the 2004 Athens Paralympics, was emphatic that he would compete in this year’s Paralympics in September whether he qualified for the able-bodied Games or not.

He reckoned the camaraderie between paralympians was better than between able-bodied athletes but said essentially there was no difference between the two.

“Sport is supposed to bring people together not judge and separate,” he said.

Swiss-based CAS, the world’s top sports court, said in a statement that the IAAF had not proved competition rules had been contravened by his J-shaped blades.

“On the basis of the evidence brought by the experts called by both parties, the panel was not persuaded that there was sufficient evidence of any metabolic advantage in favor of the double amputee using the Cheetah Flex-Foot,” the statement said.

The IAAF welcomed the decision and said more research needed to be conducted into the effects of prostheses.

“The IAAF accepts the decision of CAS, and Oscar will be welcomed wherever he competes this summer,” a statement said.

“He is an inspirational man and we look forward to admiring his achievements in the future.”

This story was found @ WCSN.com

iNPLACENEWS


OJ Simpson To Appear On The Apprentice

April 23, 2008

O.J. Simpson is looking to use his sharp fashion sense, cutting wit and killer instincts for a new purpose — joining the cast of “The Apprentice.”

TMZ spoke to sources close to the show who say Simpson approached Donald Trump’s camp to voice his want for a spot on the program — and, surprisingly, it’s “under thoughtful consideration.”

The show may soon be known for a different kind of backstabbing.

This story found @ TMZ.com

iNPLACENEWS


Priest Carried Away By Party Balloons

April 22, 2008

A Roman Catholic priest in Brazil got hooked up to a bunch of helium balloons trying to break a 19 hour record floated away on Sunday… the problem is he never came back down. Like an angel Reverend Adelir Antonio de Carli floated off and has been missing ever since. Helicopters and fishing boats were dispatched in an attempt to locate the high priest who participated in the stunt trying to raise money for a truck rest stop. The Priest is in a thermal suit and has a parachute. Hopefully he makes it back to earth soon.

iNPLACENEWS


Sexy Lady Beats The Pants off the Heavily Favored in Nascar

April 21, 2008

On Sunday, Danica Patrick became the first woman to win an Indy Car Race.

She defeated two-time Indy 500 winner and Dancing with the Stars champ Hélio Castroneves by nearly six seconds to take home the first place trophy at the Indy Japan 300.

Patrick covered 200 laps at the 1.52-mile course in one hour, 51 minutes.
Congrats!

Will we see Danica go after the Dancing title, too?

This story found @ Perez Hilton.com

iNPLACENEWS